Cerro Colorado (4,990 m / 16,371 ft) is colorful mountain known also as «Rainbow mountain» a beauty of millions of years of geological formations that seems painted by human hands.
Hidden in a remote corner of Peru’s Ausengate region, couple hour’s drive outside of Cusco, Vinicunca, more commonly referred to as the Rainbow Mountain (the translation in the local language means «seven-colored mountain»), was hidden under a thick layer of ice. But as regional temperatures rose, the snowpack thawed and revealed thick stripes of mineral deposits painted across sandstone rock.
The journey is through beautiful farm valleys and native communities. The hike itself offers you an amazing escenary of mountain views, herds of Llamas, Alpacas and the Snow-covered Ausangate, the tallest mountain in the region.
«Pictures don’t do it justice» you need see it.
Rainbow Mountain Trek Overview
Day 0.- At PBL we believe it’s important that all of our guests have the opportunity to ask questions about the The Rainbow mountain hike (the itinerary, the challenges, what to bring etc) before we start. At a pre-arranged time, your guide will provide a full pre-trek briefing at your Cusco hotel the day before the start of the trek. A Peru by Locals representative will also be available at the briefing to collect any outstanding cash balance for the tour.
Day 1.- Cusco – – Cerro Colorado (Rainbow mountain) – Cusco
Rainbow Mountain Trek – Pre-departure briefing
One day before your rainbow mountain trek in a pre-set time your guide will meet you in your hotel to give you the last details about the trek.
Day 1.- Cusco – Cusipata – Phulawasipata – Rainbow mountain – Cusco
We will depart Cusco hotel at 04:00am AM, for 2 hour drive to Cusipata where we will stop for a delicios brekfast, after that we will continue for another 50 minute drive to the trailhead at Phulawasipata (4,700 m / 15,419 ft).
Our hike begings along the meandering path with espectacular vistas of snow caped mountains, the surrounding herds of Alpacas and Llamas will be waking too.
After hiking for around 1.5 hours, we finally reach our destination, the magnificent Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). No photoshop or Instagram filters here, this awesome display of colour is 100% natural, and completely breathtaking.
We will take our time at the summit so that you can take pictures, explore the area or just take in the spectacular views. Then we take a short 20 minute walk into the Red Valley itself, a tranquil and beautiful hike amongst the crimson rocks that leads us to a spectacular view across the valley.
Your guide will let you know when it is time to return, and we hike downhill the way we came. In a sense though this is almost a different hike, as we take in the views that were behind us on our ascent. The hike down will take around 1 hour to get our van then drive for about 50 minutes back to Cusipata qhere a delicios lunch awaits for us.
Then, it’s just a 2 hour drive back to Cusco. We will drop you off at your Cusco hotel around 7pm, no doubt exhausted but with incredible memories of a unique day.
|Distance covered:||9 km (5.4 miles)|
|Time:||5 -6 hours|
|Lowest elevation:||4,300 m (14,107 ft)|
|Highest elevation:||(4,990 m / 16,371 ft)|
|Level of difficulty:||Challenging|
Inclusions & exclusions
Included in the Rainbow Mountain Trek:
- Transport to and from your hotel in Cusco
- Brekfast and lunch at a restaurant
- Trekking guide, knowledgeable in history, tradition, fauna and flora
- First aid kit, carried by your guide
- Entrance tickets to the area
- Tips for guide and driver
Excluded in the Rainbow Mountain Trek:
1. Machu Picchu tour: Since most of the treks include Machu Picchu tours, after the trek we can organize this tour for you at an additional cost, since this trek takes place southern of Cusco and Machu Picchu is west of Cusco.
2. Huayna Picchu: In order to climb Huayna Picchu, you must book well in advance since permits are limited to 400 tickets per day. The cost is USD 55 per person, and that would be if you take the Machu Picchu tour.
3. Machu Picchu mountain: It is taller mountain than Huayna Picchu and offers you spectacular views of Machu Picchu and surroundings, and our clients like it even better than Huayna Picchu. To get to the top it will take you about 1,5 hours and another 1,5 hours back down. The tickets are usually available almost all the time, unlike Huayna Picchu. The cost is USD 50 per person.
Please inform us of your choice when you book the trek with us.
4. Personal horse: You can have a horse to ride all the way from the beginning to the end of the rainbow mountain trek. The cost is USD 40 per day.
$ 70 per person
Note: For one person contact us. Also if there are more menbers than 10 let us know for the best price.
In order for us to reserve your spot on this trek, you are required to send us the following information: full names, passport number, age, gender, nationality and make the relevant deposit as indicated below:
Once you have sent us the information of each person, make your deposit using PAYPAL. Once we have both, we will confirm your tour. Thank you so much for choosing PERU by LOCALS.
If you have any questions, send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring
What to bring for the Rainbow Mountain Trek
- Clothes (hiking shoose, warm fleece jacket, few t-shirts, socks, sun hat, warm underwear, light long pants, gloves, rain jacket)
- Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel)
- Sunscreen SPF 35+ recommended
- Bug repellent for Machu Picchu (in case you are doing Machu Picchu tour) rain bowmountain does not have mosquitos.